Monday, November 25, 2013

why I haven't seen sunlight in weeks

I've (just barely) finished three dresses, and some supporting undergarments all in time for their various events. I'll do write ups later for each outfit, but I figured I would share the photos of the gowns before they are packed away in the closet.

The Burton Dress:
The orange and black could be limiting the time of year I'd wear this. But it won't. Some amazingly odd things happened as I worked this dress (such as shrinking cotton fabric and the ruffles that refused to be made) but it was finished in time. And I've gotten to wear it twice!

 The Mega Hoop:
I took up far more space in these than anything I've ever worn before. I found 1/2 steel for the bones. There were no issues with the hoop opening, but that steel did make it a very heavy garment to wear.

The 1857 Day Dress:
My first ever dress of this era. Deceptively simply looking. Took much longer than anticipated and way more hand sewing than I would have imagined.

And finally, the 1860's Ball Gown:
No lie, I felt like a cake topper the whole time. I was assured the look was period correct.