Monday, November 19, 2012

Simplicity 3635 Chemise

Finally! A finished project to share. Certainly not the most exciting ever made, but one of those pieces that really should be worn.


Simplicity 3635: Chemise
 
 
The fabric was ironed, I swear.
 
TIME: This was a four hour project. This time included ironing, cutting and all sewing. I did not put the neck ruffle on which did change my total time. This time also doesn't include washing and drying.
 
ALTERATION: I didn't add the neck ruffle. I had previously made this chemise with the ruffle, and it turns out that is visible outside of a dress. Luckily it looked cute with what I was wearing, but sometimes you might not want the ruffle. Also, the cording I cut was no where near as long as what the directions said.  
 
EASE OF INSTRUCTIONS: I found the directions pretty easy to follow. Some of the steps seem like they should have been broken down into two separate directions. This is the second time I have made this chemise, and I still didn't quite get what a few steps were telling me to do. However, I think anyone with basic sewing skills can complete this project.
 
__________________________________________________________________________________
 
Remember this fabric? My swatch arrived, and it was no good. The fabric was way too thick.
 
A friend suggested I test sew a pleat to see how well it folded.
 
 
It didn't fold well. At all. This would not look all nice a drape-y down my back. Again I poked some friends brains for advice.
 
 
Here's what they said that made sense to me:
  • If you can puff it out like a bed sheet, it's good. Most velvets would be too heavy as well as most woven designs (rather than printed or embroidered).   If the fabric won't "ripple" when you pop it in the air like a bed sheet, it's most likely too thick.
  • A good modern fabric is a silk taffeta. Its also good gauge to work from. Other good silks are shantung or dupioni (if you can find one without slubs
 
So, back on the hunt. I'm sad the gold and red didn't work out. But I would be even more sad if I made a dress that ended up looking terrible.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment