Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Preface: Russian Court Gown

A short preface to my official dress post:

It's very important to note I wasn't going for an exacting reproduction (I consider myself a costumer and not a re-enactor). I wanted a dress that looked good for the event and something I enjoyed wearing. I picked the color scheme based off of what I liked, not what a particular person of a certain station would wear. I purchased supplies based off my budget.

I do this hobby for my version of fun. Everyone has a different idea of what fun is. No one version is better than the other (in my opinion). But I don't limit myself to another's definition of what fun is. I do not feel the need to create something based off another's standards of what is acceptable for a costume. If I claimed to be a re-enactor then sure, crucify me for my machine sewing, safety pins, and synthetic materials.


Please don't think you're telling me anything new by informing me of how it was "actually done." I have access to the internet, and books, and can find out these things on my own if I wished to. Often I DO find those things out because they are interesting. However, I work 40 hours a week, have a toddler to keep alive/happy, a house that usually needs cleaning, a husband who also needs to be alive/happy and a mighty need to sleep on occasion.


I don't expect everyone to share the same priorities in this hobby. I put on themed parties where I hope anyone of any skill level would feel welcome at. Where faux silk taffeta isn't frowned upon, where invisible zippers aren't a mark of dishonor, where we can compliment one another for a job well done even if it's not how we might do it, where EVERY guest leaves feeling like their effort and presence was appreciated at a party I throw. I would much rather machine sew an inside seam if it means finishing a gown in time for an event and saving me stress.


If that last sentence is unacceptable to your personal standards I promise that it's OK. I think you should do what makes you happy in this hobby. Just please understand I am going to do what makes me happy. If that is unacceptable to you, or worthy of ridicule, then we are clearly not going to enjoy this hobby together. There's no rule saying we have to, and that's OK too.

9 comments:

  1. "I would much rather machine sew an inside seam if it means finishing a gown in time for an event and saving me stress." Amen sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To each their own but an all night hand sewathon is not my idea of good time. And I am such a slow hand sewer. It's annoying enough to machine sew a seam and have to undo it. I think I might actually cry if it were a huge hand sewn portion.

      Delete
  2. Haha yes! My last over the top gown was fake silk. But hey, I liked the fabric :) Never mind I went a little crazy with the hand stitches, but I enjoy that. This is supposed to be fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We should each be finding what we like about this hobby and enjoying that part as best we can. And not trying to get others to have the same exact opinion.

      Delete
  3. So much this!! I love the amazing looks you pull together, you are so talented, and a true friend. As you say, you do you. I'm honored that you choose to keep doing your thing and to include me in your fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 <3 <3

      I love having you at everything! You always bring such a positive and fresh attitude to whatever we do.

      Delete
  4. As a fellow working mom, woman with limited financial and temporal reserves and human with, you know, basic needs... I say 'amen' to all of the above! It's a marvel anything gets made. I'm constantly in awe of the wondrous projects my friends complete. When it comes to historical costuming, there's a time and a place for every purpose, but it's all still grown-ass people playing dress-up! And I have exactly NO time to let pretentious people who use others' assumed lack of knowledge or dedication -- they're usually wrong on both accounts! -- ruin my fun. I'm perfectly happy to have all of those styles and standards of HA in one event, because it shows the breadth of inspiration and resources we all create within, and it reminds of how far we've come and how far we've yet to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I LOVE it when I see someone posting a genius hack that gives me the same look, but saves me so much time. I also love it when someone shares the HA way because it's super fascinating. In the end though, it all comes down to having fun with it. I have little enough free time as is. I'm not about to spend it doing something that makes me miserable.

      Delete